Residents receive mentoring inside and outside the operating room by 4 full-time clinical faculty at the NIH Clinical Center, a 240-bed hospital. Residents obtain 1 ½ years of clinical experience in the unique research environment of the NIH Clinical Center, in which all patients are enrolled in research or training protocols. Each resident also spends 2 years of protected research time (basic or translational) at the NIH. During that time they receive:
- NIH intramural funding (no grants required) for their research projects
- Training and mentoring by 4 clinical and 3 full-time research (MD/PhD or PhD) faculty of the residency program,
- Opportunity to collaborate with scientists throughout NINDS and other NIH Institutes,
- Guidance in designing and implementing prospective clinical research protocols,
- NIH clinical research training, career development, and grant writing courses.
MedStar Georgetown University Hospital is Washington's most recognized academic medical center and has been consistently ranked among the best hospitals in the nation. This 609-bed hospital is situated in the center of Georgetown, one of the oldest and most beautiful neighborhoods of Washington, D.C. As part of the MedStar Georgetown medical campus, the Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center has been designated by the National Cancer Institute (NCI) as a Comprehensive Cancer Center. The hospital is well invested in cutting-edge technology, including equipment for PET scan, intraoperative neuro-navigation, and frameless robotic radiosurgery.
MedStar Washington Hospital Center is a 900-bed, non-profit hospital, and the largest medical center in the District of Columbia . Situated in the center of the city, merely two miles north of the U.S. Capitol, it is one of the nation's top trauma centers
Children's National Medical Center (CNMC) is a 323-bed facility, and a leader in the development of innovative new treatments of childhood illness and injury. Among the top pediatric hospitals in America, CNMC has been serving the nation's children for more than 130 years